Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rick Hautala Born Today, 1949

Stephen King isn't the only Maine horror writer: there is also Rick Hautala, whose novels for Zebra Books were mainstays of bookstore shelves throughout the 1980s. These are some classic '80s covers, replete with holograms, creepy kids, dolls, dark woods, cats, and skulls! For a nice appreciation of Hautala, check out the always great Phantom of Pulp. Hautala's still writing; check him out.

Nov 1982

 Jan 1981

Mar 1987

Mar 1989

Oct 1991

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hautala said that "Nightstone" sold very well by the hologram more than anything else. That's a little sad.
Probably, I would have bought the book for the same reason.
There is a interesting article about him in Fangoria #127

bluerosekiller said...

I was a big fan of Hautala's work back during his heyday of paperback originals. Though, to be honest, he never quite topped his debut novel MOONDEATH. Which, isn't meant as a derogatory statement by any means. That's just how much I loved MOONDEATH, that's all.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've read anything even remotely contemporary by him. I see that he's maintained a fairly steady output over the years though, so I'm really going to have to make an effort of getting a hold of one of his newer works & giving it a try.

Jim

Anonymous said...

I'm going to give Moondeath a try. Amazon reviews say it's a pretty good werewolf thriller. Thanks for sharing.