Saturday, September 5, 2026

Hiding an Ungodly Horror: The Cover Art of Paul Stinson


The artist Paul Stinson (aka Paul E. Stinson) was born in New Jersey on this date in 1953. More prolific in the science fiction/fantasy fields, he also illustrated the cover art for a good handful of horror/suspense mass market paperbacks back in the day, including ones for well-known names like Graham Masterton, Ramsey Campbell, Bernard Taylor, and Kathryn Ptacek. Also, his work adorned most of the "psychic detective" Chill series, by Jory Sherman, which I featured here. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Mike said...

I remember seeing the cover art for REVENGE OF THE MANITOU, THE NIGHT VISITOR, CATMAGIC and maybe NIGHT OF THE CLAW.

D.J. Esteves said...

I find it rather interesting coming on here and seeing your write-up on this artist - I've actually been reading DRIVER by Pat Winter for the last few days, and I find it to be a very exciting book. Have you ever read it? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Mike said...

Question: is NIGHT OF THE CLAW another escaped-black-panther-on-the-loose horror novel? I forgot to ask this the last time (see above).

Will Errickson said...

I had no idea it existed until I was researching this artist. What a funny coincidence!