Thursday, October 22, 2020

Favorite Horror Stories: "The Chimney" by Ramsey Campbell (1977)

"Deep down, we are all still as vulnerable as we were in childhood; sometimes it takes very little to break through our defenses," states Ramsey Campbell in his introduction to the 1982 collection of his short stories, Dark Companions. If there's anyone who's developed a mastery of breaking through our adult defenses, it's Campbell with his vast output of short stories and novels since the Sixties. He's one of the writers featured the most here on Too Much Horror Fiction, and while I've read only a fraction of that astounding output—I'd have to put everything else on hold to be able to do a complete read of him!—I've loved a lot of it. And perhaps none more so than "The Chimney," a 1977 tale that first appeared in the dark fantasy anthology Whispers, then later in Companions, and many more books after that.
 
An early example of his patented quiet, slow-burn, off-kilter style, Campbell makes sure that virtually every sentence in this story depicts something "wrong." Whether it's an emotion or a word, a shadow or an article of clothing, a parent or a fellow schoolchild, every thing is cast in an as uncomfortable light as possible. Step by step Campbell delicately puts down each sentence and oh-so-precisely injects un-ease into it, so we are always wobbling off-balance, fearful, in suspense, feeling like our poor unnamed protagonist... knowing that Campbell has something horrible awaiting us at the end. It's one of the purest Campbell stories I know, and rereading only confirms that fact.

 
The first-person narrator is now an adult looking back at the year of his life when he was but 12 years old, when he was "beginning to conquer his fears." Something traumatic happened back then, which he does not wish to attribute to those fears—of which there are many, but it is the titular object which causes the child the most distress: "I even went upstairs to do my homework, and managed to ignore the chimney. I had to be brave," he states. Well aware of how his mother is terrified of him going off to school, and how that seeps into his own experience of it, where children from social classes both above and below tease and bully him. Even those who approach him in friendship are rebuffed in his self-conscious anxiety. 

He tries to gain sympathy from mother by feigning sickness, but all his fears only embarrass father, who has his own problems with a struggling five-and-dime shop. "You only upset the child," father says to mother. "If you didn't go on at him he wouldn't be half so bad... you'll have him afraid to go up to bed next." And it is upstairs indeed where our greatest source of fear is: the chimney. Its firelight causes distressing shadows: "Everything was unstable; walls shifted, my clothes crawled on the back of the chair." He knows he must hide these feelings from his parents; he must conquer his terror of the chimney.

And so Campbell puts his man through the paces: nightmares, sleepwalking, sickness, cranky dad. And my god, does he say in front of a new pal and two girls they've just met that he still believes in "Father Christmas"? It's this last aspect that is actually the crux of this fellow's abject if inchoate fears, when he reveals to us that at three years old he'd seen a Christmas movie on television:

I'd seen two children asleep in bed, an enormous crimson man emerging from the fireplace, creeping toward them. They weren't going to wake up! "Burglar!" I'd screamed. "No, dear, it's Father Christmas," my mother said. "He always comes out of the chimney."

Perhaps if she'd said "down" rather than "out of"...

The ironic idea of Santa as the origin of night terrors is a believable one: "I lay awake listening fearfully for movement in the chimney: I was sure a fat grinning figure would creep upon me if I slept." Then one Christmas Eve, dear old dad borrows the neighbor's Father Christmas costume... "It was many years before I enjoyed Christmas very much." There are two climaxes, and each rattles the nerves, bringing past and future together into one horrific moment, a vision from that blighted holiday night: "What shocked me most was its size." But these set-pieces, taken together, add up to our narrator realizing he will never conquer his fear, suggesting that it may even have a life of its own... and "that would be worst of all."

"The Chimney" won the 1978 World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction.

Grady Hendrix, Ramsey Campbell, & me
Providence, RI 2018

10 comments:

Rob said...

Ramsey Campbell's short fiction doesn't always work for me (I'll chalk it up to my being too obtuse for such subtlety), but when it DOES work.....wow! I count The Chimney and Again as two of the most memorable and horrifying short stories I've read.

Will Errickson said...

Rob, I agree on both points... but I have found the more Campbell I read, the more effective he becomes!

Jerky LeBoeuf said...

Wonderful blog! Ramsey Campbell's incredible, one of a kind work can never get enough attention, as far as I'm concerned. When it comes to the short story form, I don't think anyone can find a better writer in ANY genre than Ramsey. The fact that he's such an affable, friendly, approachable individual to boot is just the bloody crimson icing on the snow white cake!

Zwolf said...

When I was younger I hated Campbell's stuff. And there are still a few of his novels that I think aren't that great (really didn't like The Nameless, for instance, and I don't get the big deal about The Parasite). But as I got older I figured out that his short stories are almost always freaking BRILLIANT, and that some of his novels are great, too (I really liked The Grin of the Dark, and The Face That Must Die). He's still better at short stories, but I no longer dismiss his novels the way I used to... I'll buy anything the man puts out. I think Campbell has kind of an Aickman, Ligotti kind of "vibe" that one has to grow into. But once you get it, you see how amazing the guy really is. He's one of those writers who I'm glad turns out so many short stories, because the more, the better. Some of those I've read dozens of times now, like "The Companion," "Call First," and "Again." ("Again" is a freakin' nightmare, I can't believe how creepy that one is).

Will Errickson said...

I never hated his stuff but I can see what you mean. Nameless underwhelmed me too but I loved Face and Ancient Images and liked his first book a lot. Have most of his novels up to early ‘90s. He is truly a master!

Will Errickson said...

Thank you Jerky! I agree on all counts.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I'm mostly familiar with Campbell's youthful Lovecraft pastiches, which are amusing.

The best thing about Mr Campbell is that he's active in the horror/SFF community... there's a decent chance that he will end up posting a comment here.

Will Errickson said...

Oh he has posted on this blog, several times actually, over many years! He came to the horror paperback panel Grady and I did at Stoker Con as well—lovely chap

Jerky LeBoeuf said...

If anyone reading this would like to read one of Ramsey Campbell's long-form tales (novels) that has that Stephen King (at his best) combination of being both compelling as a basic narrative while simultaneously slipping into moments of creeping (or, occasionally, explosive) horror, I would like to recommend THE HUNGRY MOON. I've read it thrice and will probably read it again, and I always get something new out of it. On top of being a great pseudo-mythos tale of monstrous, supernatural horror, it also has something to say about religious intolerance, and the damage that society so thoughtlessly and selfishly inflicts upon its future generations sometimes. I think it's a masterpiece.

Will Errickson said...

That sounds great—glad I already have it on my shelf!