Monday, March 17, 2014

The Cover Art of Joe DeVito

Artist Joe DeVito painted many a paperback cover throughout the 1980s and '90s, including some wonderful pieces for iconic horror novels seen here. His work for the 1989 Tor reprint of Psycho II is easily one of my favorites of that era. Above, a timeless, subtle representation of a woman of Stepford. Bold and dramatic, his covers can be moody, sensual, or outrageous - and all three at once, check out Bloodletter below! DeVito has also worked in comics, gaming, and toys, and the covers I've posted here are but a sample of his paperback covers...



 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some fairly evocative artwork. I have that copy of 'Psycho' laying around here somewhere. Gotta say I am digging that 'Animals' cover, too.

ErinPaperbackstash said...

I love that cover of Psycho

It's a book I had wanted to read for years, and I stumbled on the hardcover collection of the three novels at a convention. Finally I was able to read the first book, only to be a little let down. Robert Bloch is still a favorite of mine though - he had such a talent with wording that it sucks me in. My favorite from him is The Kidnapper.