Sunday, October 23, 2011

October Reading Update!

The ghoulfriend and I threw a monster of an early Halloween party last night; it took us 10 days to prepare for it so as you might imagine, I'm a bit behind on my seasonal reading. I've been making my way through the Weird Tales-era work of Ray Bradbury, collected in his classic The October Country, as well as re-re-re-reading a vintage King, both for future review. So here are some covers of Bradbury's book to hold you over till I get myself back together after last night's ghoulish gala...

4 comments:

Phantom of Pulp said...

Wonderful collection of Bradbury stories. And from the looks of it, they've inspired very fine covers, too.

lazlo azavaar said...

God, I love this book. Live forever, Ray!

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

Great post. I've just discovered this blog, but this will not be my last visit.

highwayknees said...

As an addendum to my comments on The October Country I thought I'd add that there is a stand alone story not from this book that would have been a welcome addition called: The Halloween Game. It was in one of those Alfred Hitchcock PBs that were so prevalent back in the day. Boy ! You owe it to yourselves to look this one up. It is one of his more gruesome efforts, and almost comes off like a very scary twist from an 80s slasher film! Once read you'll never forget it! So besides his gift for autumnal wonder and atmosphere, Ray could really pull out all the stops when he wanted to! Brrrr..