Monday, May 30, 2011

Horror Fiction Help 2: Do You Know This Book?

Recently I received another missive from a reader asking me to help identify a work of vintage horror fiction. I must admit the description doesn't sound familiar, so I post it here in hopes some of my other readers can help Bryan N:

Set in Britain, mid to late 1980s, a hassled fat kid sneaks a snack from the cafeteria that turns out to be tainted and causes violent madness to spread through London, possibly, maybe the riots stick to the school... reminds one of James Herbert but it was more low rent. There was a detective involved with a teacher I think... I could swear there was a tacky joke about his manhood not being intended for use on a civilian. Sad that my brain held that!

Leave any suggestions in your comments! We appreciate your help.

And the book is Childmare by Nick Sharman (1980). Thanks Anonymous.

5 comments:

1977 Chevrolet Impala AC Compressor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

No idea of the book, but the "James Herbert but more low-rent" comment suggests Shaun Hutson, author of SLUGS and many other works of literary horror.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/shaun-hutson

Anonymous said...

By golly, I believe I've got this one covered!
Though, I can't really take the credit for it. That belongs to Mr. Curran. I just remember reading his review of it several months back on his website.
Anyhow, I believe the title of the book is CHILDMARE by one Nick Sharman & Tim's review of it can be found at this link:
http://www.corpseking.com/Childmare.html

Jim ( aka bluerosekiller )

Will Errickson said...

Great work, Jim, thanks!

Anonymous said...

No prob pal.
Glad to help.