Monday, June 7, 2010

The Next by Bob Randall (1981): Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?

The Next is a book I have no intention of ever reading but man if that cover doesn't make you laugh out loud. Just bask in its ridiculous absurdity. I like that the kid is all decked out in a big-collared shirt, moppet hair, thumbs in pockets, just hangin'. Don't mind me, I'm just busting out, figuratively speaking. No idea who Bob Randall is, I think The Fan was made into a latter-day Bacall flick, and there's one five-star review of it on Amazon which makes it sound kinda okay, but still, I've got limited time and in the last two weeks have bought about 15 or 20 cool new/old paperback horror novels. Good stuff too, like Michael McDowell, more Skipp and Spector, Charles L. Grant, some anthologies, a couple vintage vampires, the novelization of a certain classic sequel, and more. So stick around, kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I hear you really should read The First, by Bob Randall, first. Then after finishing The Next next, finally you complete the trilogy--yep, you guessed it--by reading The Last, um, last.

Jose Cruz said...

But how do you know The Next isn't the book after The Last? Maybe Randall just planned to write two books and then thought "I know what to do Next!" Thus The Next was created. And wasn't The Last written under his pen name Randall Bob anyway?

That cover is pretty hilarious, Will. Why in the hell is the guy shattering into pieces? Thanks for the laugh and I'm definitely looking forward to your new stuff!

Sean Strange said...

Hey nice blog you have here. My taste runs more toward cosmic, mythic or post-apocalyptic horror, so I’d love to see reviews in those subgenres. Speaking of Skipp and Spector, have you read "The Bridge"? I’ve heard good things about it.

Also, does anyone know of any other good blogs for serious discussions of horror fiction, or attempts at creating a modern, on-line "Weird Tales"? I’m thinking of trying to do something like this with my new blog, othergods.blogspot.com. There’s nothing there yet, but stay tuned...

Will Errickson said...

Thanks Mr. Carter! I have read The Bridge but it was back in 1991 when it came out. In fact it's one that I just found again this past weekend, and I know it's come back into print too. I'm a fan of many different kinds of horror but no set schedule as to what gets covered when. As for other blogs for horror fiction, many of this blog's followers cover horror novels/stories and would welcome serious discussion of the genre.