Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Peter Haining Born Today, 1940

British author and editor Peter Haining, who died in 2007, put together dozens of anthologies that collected classic and obscure horror, occult, Gothic, and science fiction over several decades, as well as nonfiction works on our beloved genre. Virtually all of these books were published, for whatever reason, only in the UK. Some - if not most - of the US paperbacks:

 
One of Haining's nonfiction titles that made it 'cross the pond is Terror! A History of Horror Illustrations from the Pulp Magazines. Fortunately I found a copy when I was in high school. It really and truly fed my hungering heart of horror, and it's been an invaluable resource on my bookshelves for decades now! Which is just the way he would've wanted it, I'm sure.

Read more about Peter here, and see lots more of his UK covers here.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Tim Mayer said...

Always enjoyed his anthologies.

Will Errickson said...

Yeah, looks like he *really* knew his stuff!

me said...

I remember buying what I think is the US version of TERROR titled "A pictorial history of horror stories" at a sadly gone used bookstore when I was maybe 12 or 13. Haining really did publish a lot, even up until his death in 2007. Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories might have been one of his last.

Thomas McNulty said...

I enjoyed many of those antholgies!

John Seavey said...

He also wrote some very well received non-fiction, including the 20th anniversary guide to Doctor Who, 'Doctor Who: A Celebration'. I've got very fond memories of reading those books.