Friday, February 1, 2013

Megalodon by Robin Brown (1981): The Hungry End is Waiting for Your Life

Finally found this glorious cover art for the paperback of Megalodon (authored by someone named Robin Brown, Playboy Press Dec 1982), a book I immediately bought when it first appeared on bookstore shelves. I was 12 and I did a book report on it for 7th grade English; I can still see the moue of distaste my teacher had when I presented the book to her. Lo these many years later and my copy long gone I can still remember thinking it was pretty crappy even then, replete with a tawdry and totally out of place sex scene and ridiculous scenes of the enormous Carcharodon megalodon eating various deep-sea equipment and hapless marine biologists. I recall nothing else, don't even think I liked it at all despite being a Jaws/shark maniac, but you can read a synopsis from Publisher's Weekly. But still, you gotta love that art (you can see the artist's clever signature in the rocks to the left of the monster's jaws, Les Katz)—so much better than the original hardcover!

4 comments:

Kevin F said...

I remember that book. Really bad. The cover is unbelievably cool though.

I know you don't cover contemporary novels here very often, but I think the cover for the novel Meg by Steve Alten is one of my favorite. It features a shark fighting a dinosaur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg:_A_Novel_of_Deep_Terror

francisco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
francisco said...

hey Will, please tell us about that tawdry and out of place sex scene!!!

Unknown said...

I have this but under the title of Shark!