Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Frankenstein Published Today, 1818

I saw the pale student of unhallowed arts kneeling beside the thing he had put together. I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful engine, show signs of life, and stir with an uneasy, half vital motion. Frightful must it be; for SUPREMELY frightful would be the effect of any human endeavour to mock the stupendous mechanism of the Creator of the world.

Mary Shelley, on the dream that created Frankenstein

The first four below are my favorites...
 
 
 


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A masterpiece!

DrChad said...

Something to celebrate, to be sure. I love the first cover, the one with the wolf-like creature running. The sense of speed in the picture captures something of the essence of the creature not normally a part of the movies.

Unknown said...

Texas Chainsaw 3D Tops Weekend Box Office With $23 Million

Unknown said...

I tried to read Frankenstein in 4th grade, put it down quick.

For the Hive Mind of your readership: the monthly SRA book club had an SF selection about an expedition to explore an underwater city. The team members included children, iirc. There was a slightly-menacing fishman on the cover. Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone?

I probably wouldn't get into it today, although I've reread a few other favorites from back then and they were OK (Madeleine L'Engle, Joan Aiken).

Will Errickson said...

I read a YA adaptation of the novel and *loved* it as a kid, appreciating how different it was from the movies I'd seen. The whole Arctic framing device was fascinating, still is.

Will try to find out your book!