Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Hell vomits up the damned..."

Can't really beat that tasty tagline can you? I've never read Pranks (Leisure 1993) but it's one of those books that I seem to find in all the used bookstores I haunt. I can't bring myself to purchase it, not with one of the most uselessly ludicrous covers ever. But I had to share it, and you can thank me later. Cinema Somnambulist reviewed it awhile back, see what he says here.

Unrelated note - or maybe it is related, as I'm featuring a cover for a book I neither own nor have read - I'm reading a couple horror short story collections this week, almost finished one, and should have a review up soon. I'll give you a few story-title hints: "Buckets," "Soft," "Cuts"... Stick with me now!

6 comments:

Jose Cruz said...

Yikes. I'm not even sure what the hell I'm at looking at here. Is it a teensy axe in a child/pumpkin head doorknob? Jesus...

There was a short story penned by Bloch called "Pranks" in an anthology called HALLOWEEN HORRORS edited by Alan Ryan. It gave me a little shiver the first time I read it, and it's undoubtedly leagues better than this.

Hmm, didn't F. Paul Wilson have a collection called SOFT AND OTHERS? I've been digging up a LOT of titles for my list of books of interest...

Will Errickson said...

Ooh, the GF just snagged a copy of HALLOWEEN HORRORS! Will have to borrow....

William Malmborg said...

Oooo, I really like that cover. I may have to track down this book. If nothing else it will look cool on my bookshelf. I also now want a copy of Halloween Horrors! Why is everytime I come on this site I end up buying something I never planning on from Amazon?

I know the collection you are talking about and hope you like it. I enjoyed most of the tales in that collection. "Cuts" most of all, if that was the voodoo one. Or maybe I liked "Buckets" the best. I can't remember. They were both really good. He is one of my favorite authors.

Jamie Rosen said...

Matheson Jr, yes?

Adam said...

F. Paul Wilson. Personally, "Faces" is my favorite of his short stories...

cl said...

I found this site yesterday, and I'm obsessed. Of all the books I noted after I jumped down the rabbit hole, though, Pranks is the priority purchase. It looks like a horrible read I'll enjoy very much.