Friday, December 23, 2011

Death Tour by David J. Michael (1978): Come On Along, Honey

It might look like a Halloween mask on the cover but it's got a New York Times Book Review blurb! How could you resist Death Tour? It's an alligators-in-the-sewers deal by David J. Michael (don't know anything about him) but I haven't read it. I was kinda surprised to find a handful of reviews on the novel. I even found something on the artist, one Ivan Punchatz. So now you can enjoy your holiday well-contented with horror fiction lore! You're welcome.

Ooh, hardcover!

3 comments:

Ben said...

I've got a fantastically lurid 1980 British edition of this one that I scanned for my blog a few months back:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sATl_EabR-0/Tlkwx3uc64I/AAAAAAAADwg/W11UGkYZ4rw/s1600/Death%2BTour%2B01.jpg

Baron von Wasteland said...

Stephen King briefly mentioned Death Tour in Danse Macabre, while discussing Harlan Ellison's short story "Croatoan". He called Michael's novel "funny-horrible" but left it at that, so I'm not sure if he meant that it's so bad it's funny, or that it's both funny (in a good way) and gruesome. I'd bet on the latter, for I've read Death Tour and found it intentionally funny and--you guessed it--gruesome. In fact, it's one of my all-time favorites. I was lucky enough to find a pristine paperback copy of it at a used bookstore I worked at many years ago.

bassrabbit9 said...

This is one of the best books I've ever read in my life. It was stolen from my library right after I read it (early 80's), and I've never forgotten it. I would call it "true life horror" What a treasure!
Has anyone read his other book? What is David up to these days?