Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (1987): Shot Down & Deadly

Behold the God of the Razor! Adrenalin-charged splatterpunk pulp-horror at its finest, The Nightrunners was the first Joe R. Lansdale novel I ever read, April 1991 according to the notation I made inside the front cover. Brutally violent, a sort of supernatural retelling of Peckinpah's Straw Dogs. Publisher Tor had its horror line graced with gloriously tacky covers like this one. I read mine carefully and it's still in fine condition. Native Texan Lansdale has finally started to win awards and sales lo these many years later.

2 comments:

Phantom of Pulp said...

Lansdale has been one consistent writer. I have this original Tor edition, too, and have also practiced "care" in reading it.

Will Errickson said...

I've got a few more of Lansdale's books from that era in good shape, but they're not exactly horror, so I'm not sure if I'm going to cover them here or not. I'm glad he's continuing the Hap and Leonard series.